Sunday, November 05, 2006

From the Banks of the Ohio


We left Delaware, Bill, Ann, and the grandkjids for Pennsylvania where we visited Mom and Dad for several days. Nice to visit. We did spend a morning at the Shillington farmer’s market. Sure wish there were more markets like these along our travels. In addition to pig stomach, and sho-fly pie, we bought some apple dumplings, ring bologna, and some great sharp cheese. We parked our RV in the back yard (at the corral) of Bob and Shirly Reeser along the banks of the Schyukill River. Canada geese were in abundance and the river invited me every day for a canoe float or fishing excursion. A heavy rain one night raised the river considerably.

We left Reading and went to York for a great visit with my college roommate Harry Zart and his wife Julie. Had a wonderful visit. Julie served (of all things) hog maul – pig stomach stuffed with fresh sausage, cabbage, potatoes, and onions. Very good. After lots of wine and a tour of the Rojhan cabinetry plant (www.rojahnkitchens.com) we continued on to Gettyspurg, PA where we parked at the Gettysburg RV Resort courtesy of a coupon from my niece, Brooke. Thanks Brooke!!!!

Our first morning in Gettysburg was beautiful so we packed the bikes and drove a few miles south to the MD/ WVA boarder to bike the C&O bike trail just west of Harper’s Ferry. Beautiful day for a bike ride.
There were lots of paw paw trees, painted turtles, pileated woodpeckers, downy woodpeckers, kinglets, wrens, and others. The C&O bike trail follows the old C&O canal and follows the Potomac River. The scenic trail coincides with the Appalachian trail and we followed that across the Potomac into Harper’s Ferry in West Virginia where we walked around and had an ice cream cone during a break. I found the camping cook wear I want in an outfitter’s store but the $35 for a pot made me think about waiting a while to buy a much needed pot.

11/1/2006
Yesterday was for hiking. Absolutely gorgeous day. The temperature got up to 70+. We drove down into Maryland west of Frederick and got on the Appalachian Trail near where I -70 and rt 40 meet. We hiked about 2.5 miles northbound to Annapolis Rocks. Annapolis Rocks is every bit as awesome as McAfee’s Knob in Virginia. We had lunch of Lebanon Balogna sandwiches, radishes, and cheese. Out on the rocks we feel as if we are suspended over the valley. Red Tailed Hawks and Turkey Vultures soared overhead. The hike was relatively easy for me but a bit arduous for sandi. We saw lots of chipmunks and grey squirrels and there was a lot of bird activity. Saw some of the grey thrushes but without my field glasses I could not tell what they were.
Today I met my brother for a round of golf at the Bridges in Abottstown just east of Gettysburg. Another beautiful day. I shot 45/42 for an 87. My little brother tried but could not keep up. I don’t get to beat him often so I’m relishing this. Actually I’ve had a good series of golf here in the east. Despite Bill my son, and Ken my brother both claiming to play great golf, neither were up to the task of beating me. I loved it.

Thursday I spend all day slow cooking ribs for a very special get together with our dear friends the Zarts. Harry and Julie came from York to spend the evening with us at Gettysburg. We drank and talked until well into the evening. We had an absolutely great visit.

No comments: